Sunday 4 December 2011

Go Sew Yourself

So, I bought a new sewing machine in September - it was on 'special' and a bit of a bargain. That old saying that you only get what you pay for was never more true in the case of said sewing machine and after 4 hours of trying to get it working, it went back to the shop for a refund.  With due respect to the art of careful research, another machine has been purchased and it worked right out of the box.  Lessons have been learned. 


I haven't really sewn since high school, except for a fleeting moment in the 90s when I made some tab top curtains so I'm not really sure why I'm suddenly and strangely drawn to it again.  Still, make hay while the sun shines and all that so I'm embracing this enthusiasm for all things crafty while it lasts and thought I'd share it with anyone who wants to listen.


I borrowed a copy of the aptly titled "Sewing for Dummies" by Jan Saunders Maresh from the library and find it very useful as a source for the basics.  I also got a copy of The Sewing Book by Alison Smith which covers quite a range of techniques (read 'looks a bit scary').  


I've picked up a couple of pieces of fabric with a couple of projects in mind.  I just need to get reading now to learn some of the basics before I jump in feet first and ruin my fabric. 


           

No comments:

Post a Comment